Listen and Obey
(I write devotionals for our church's women's ministry blog. I thought I would share with you my most recent contribution that was featured yesterday...)
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says … not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. – James 1:22-25
Becoming a parent for the first time eighteen months ago added a new dimension to my perception of the heart of my Father God. My son is in the first stages of shedding his baby connectedness with me evidenced by learning independence and most of all knowing his own mind with what he wants when he wants it! With that growth comes the great struggle of power.
His way and my way are often not the same. My way protects him from harm he cannot comprehend and also develops character traits that will benefit him as he grows into a man. His way is instant gratification. Multiple times a day I encourage him to listen to my instruction. It feels like five minutes later he conveniently forgets and we have to go through the same lesson all over again. This is frustrating when it’s a simple thing like “no touch” to the Kleenexes that he likes to pull out one by one strewing them all over the floor. It’s a dangerous thing when it’s “no touch” to opening the hot oven! He must learn not just to hear me but to obey and apply the discipline.
Recently I realized saying “listen to Mommy” is not enough. It’s more than just listening. I have now started saying, “listen and obey Mommy.” Teaching him this second step will bring forth the best for him in ways he can’t imagine right now by his limited perception of reality. How often God must think that about me.
The still, small voice of my Abba increased in my heart as I meditated on this for my son. How often does He say “no touch” to something I want or carry me outside of my comfort zone for His master plan and I drag my feet? Listening is not the issue, I hear Him. Obeying Him regarding something I don’t understand or want is where I can start negotiating my will with His. God’s not looking for a negotiation with me anymore than I am with my son. I’m to listen, trust and obey.
God’s Word says throughout the Old and New Testament (Deut. 11:13-16, Luke 11:28 & 1 John 2:5-6) that we are to listen and obey to be blessed. It’s a package deal. I fail often, but want to continue not just to listen but to have the self control, humility and willingness to obey when God commands me to listen. God will always make a way for his plan, regardless of us, but He wants to develop our relationship with Him, bless us beyond imagination and utilize our lives for His glory if we simply surrender. May we continue to submit our will to listen and obey so we can embrace His blessing that follows. Be blessed.
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says … not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. – James 1:22-25
Becoming a parent for the first time eighteen months ago added a new dimension to my perception of the heart of my Father God. My son is in the first stages of shedding his baby connectedness with me evidenced by learning independence and most of all knowing his own mind with what he wants when he wants it! With that growth comes the great struggle of power.
His way and my way are often not the same. My way protects him from harm he cannot comprehend and also develops character traits that will benefit him as he grows into a man. His way is instant gratification. Multiple times a day I encourage him to listen to my instruction. It feels like five minutes later he conveniently forgets and we have to go through the same lesson all over again. This is frustrating when it’s a simple thing like “no touch” to the Kleenexes that he likes to pull out one by one strewing them all over the floor. It’s a dangerous thing when it’s “no touch” to opening the hot oven! He must learn not just to hear me but to obey and apply the discipline.
Recently I realized saying “listen to Mommy” is not enough. It’s more than just listening. I have now started saying, “listen and obey Mommy.” Teaching him this second step will bring forth the best for him in ways he can’t imagine right now by his limited perception of reality. How often God must think that about me.
The still, small voice of my Abba increased in my heart as I meditated on this for my son. How often does He say “no touch” to something I want or carry me outside of my comfort zone for His master plan and I drag my feet? Listening is not the issue, I hear Him. Obeying Him regarding something I don’t understand or want is where I can start negotiating my will with His. God’s not looking for a negotiation with me anymore than I am with my son. I’m to listen, trust and obey.
God’s Word says throughout the Old and New Testament (Deut. 11:13-16, Luke 11:28 & 1 John 2:5-6) that we are to listen and obey to be blessed. It’s a package deal. I fail often, but want to continue not just to listen but to have the self control, humility and willingness to obey when God commands me to listen. God will always make a way for his plan, regardless of us, but He wants to develop our relationship with Him, bless us beyond imagination and utilize our lives for His glory if we simply surrender. May we continue to submit our will to listen and obey so we can embrace His blessing that follows. Be blessed.
Comments
P.S. Give Will a kiss and hug for me.