Tea Party

This past Sunday I went to a tea party baby shower for a lady in our small group. It was at an actual tea room in Occoquan, VA called The Pink Bicycle Tea Room. I was very skeptical. One of my first thoughts was are they going to make me wear one of those goofy hats? You know the ones. Most of you who know me understand I'm not a frilly kind of girl. I played sports and was a tomboy.

I didn't realize until I got there how non girly my life has become. My days are filled with all things boy from marrying a now former Marine to keeping up with my son's fascination with all things dump trucks, trash trucks, moving trucks, school buses, etc. Do you know how many types of tractors and bulldozers there are out there and that they each have a correct name? Oh the things I'm learning to care about!

So, going to a tea room was a bit of a feminine stretch for me. The longer I sat there chatting with some girlfriends, sipping tea in eclectic little cups and munching on little cucumber sandwiches the more I got sucked into the fun of it. I understand now why you do silly stuff like that every now and again to fluff your feminine feathers. It reminds you of who you are, well, who you were before the weight of the world started hugging your shoulders. You won't catch me doing stuff like that often, but I was pleasantly surprised with my enjoyment of it.

In honor of my first tea, I have changed my blog background to something pink and green. Just for me! I always try to keep it gender neutral or else I get a big eye roll from my husband. This time, even if just for a little while I'm going to keep channeling my inner girly-girl and make it reflect just that.

And, in case you were wondering I did not wear one of those frilly hats. No one at our table did. One of the ladies, a mother of five kiddos, quickly pointed out that she wasn't looking to get lice. Well, me neither! We were able to enjoy dropping our sugar cubes into our yummy tea and enjoy our escape all the same.

Comments

Organized Chaos said…
Sounds like you may be ready to join me for a mani/pedi!?
Fifi Flowers said…
PRETTY teacups!
Unknown said…
I love the pink and green! It's a nice touch :) It's good to embrace the girlie side of you! And i'm sure Nate loves it too....haha, love you all!

Popular Posts