"Shelter In Place"

In Northern Virginia, we are experiencing what some are calling Snowpocalypse 2010. What started being forecasted as "significant snow" has turned into a truly mind blowing 20-30 plus inches expected. Overnight there is potential blizzard conditions and the weather service issued an alert of "shelter in place."
Now, I'm from Georgia. When I read that term I kind of scrunched my face and scratched my forehead. Shelter in place? What in the world does that mean? So, I took advantage of the phenomena that is Facebook and asked. Shelter in place means to be locked up in your home with no physical access to the outside world. Another weather alert stated it could last up to 3-5 days. Let me say it one more time for effect, I'm from Georgia.
In Georgia the sky spits a few flakes of snow and the world shuts down for a week. That's how I grew up and what I know. What is occurring outside my window right now is truly a jaw dropper. Now don't get me wrong, after living here 4 years I'm getting more confident in my snow going ways. Anything under 6 inches really doesn't phase me as long as our streets are plowed, which they usually are, as I've learned to live with it. The 18 inches we got in December was monumental and also contributed to my perspective and what I've come to call "snow tolerance."
We are getting record breaking snow this weekend. It's like nothing I've ever seen or possibly will ever see again. My kitchen is stocked, movies are rented and Wii games are standing ready. As long as the power doesn't go out we're fine.
"Batten down the hatches boys" we're in for the Snowpocalypse.
Stay tuned. Pictures will follow.
Comments
Glad you are all together--safe and warm. Just think: this time last year we spent this weekend with you for Will's dedication at FBC Woodbridge...what a difference a year makes!