Marriage: A passing fad?

Anyone who's been married longer than 5 minutes knows that once the honeymoon glow passes it is actual work and at times challenging to stay the course. Molding your independent life to comply and fit with another human being stretches you. There are days when commitment is the glue that holds you together. That's pre-marital counseling 101. The feelings of highs and lows come and go throughout the years. Marriage is also extremely rewarding and worth the tough moments. Going through life with a partner who shares the most vulnerable depths of your life and wants and believes the best in you is beyond words of expression. Riding out the storms and cherishing the moments of complete connectedness and happiness builds a strong foundation. It is how it was intended.

I know that things happen and because of them divorce happens. Sometimes it's one big thing and other times a multitude of little ones that add up to done. I am not judging people individually for decisions made that are ultimately best for them and/or their children. Life happens and you do the best you can with it. You do what you have to do.

I am growing increasingly concerned with the farce that marriage is becoming in Hollywood and the example that sets. I guess the whole Tiger Woods thing, which follows the Jon and Kate Gosselin thing has really made me think on it. Britney Spears is about to give it a go for the third time and others treat it like a revolving door. It seems like divorce is the precedent and marriage the cheapened fad. It has gone from something holy, sacred and worth fighting for to the passing fad that you do while it feels good and then you stop once something else feels better. What a grave place of disillusionment and oh how it must break God's heart and make him so very angry.

What will our children and grandchildren's generation look like when they're grown? Will there even still be marriage? If nothing is sacred, if nothing is off limits, if nothing is holy and if nothing is of value greater then self gratification are we eventually going to self implode? The TV, news, magazines, books, etc. illuminating the "glory" of people guided by no sense of a moral compass leads us to such a raw place of desensitization that I'm not sure we can recover. I hope we can.

Marriage is one of the hardest and best things I've ever committed too. Prior to raising a toddler, it was the most - ha! However, I made a vow. I gave my word. In front of God, my family and my friends I pledged my life to loving and being the best partner I can be to Nate. I pray for God's grace and strength to keep my word. It's hard. I fail often and am forgiven much. I never stop trying. Walking away when it's not easy is not an option. I revere my marriage and I fear my God. Despite how disposable Hollywood makes it seem, I will fight not just for my own but to be an example to my children so they know it's worth. I can't save the world but I can effect the way my children will see it.

The Bible isn't just a book to make you feel good. The laws of God, though cloaked in grace, aren't just words on a page. The day will come when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

Comments

jbdlee7 said…
I love this! I am sending it to my entire family. What a word from God, and so timely for this day in age. Thanks for putting your thoughts out there. It's nice to know there are others that still feel this strongly=) Luv ya!
Organized Chaos said…
Well said!!!!

Popular Posts