Keeping Perspective
I want his childhood to be rich with traditions, memories and love…just like mine was. My Mom made this look easy and seem natural. So, I ask myself many questions. For instance, are we going to do Santa Claus? If so, how many gifts should he bring and are they wrapped? Should we get a real tree or fake tree? If real, should we go cut it down somewhere? Are we even going to decorate this year since “Sir Grabs-a-lot” will snatch away any endeavors to be festive? What are we getting others for Christmas and what is our gift for Will? What about gifts for each other? What's the budget? What traditions do we want to implement? Will we get to Georgia in time for family traditions there? Is he old enough to start doing our advent book and Christmas candy countdown (firm no to that one – ha!)? How do we balance the focus of Jesus with the fun of Santa? Not to mention, I’m feeling the pressure to have my house look like Santa’s village prior to the season even starting. Is my son in for dismal disappointment with his non Martha Stewart like mother? See what I’m saying? It’s mentally exhausting.
“But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." – Luke 2:10-12
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”- John 1:1-2, 14
It’s all about perspective.
If I can keep my eyes on Jesus, the lover and champion of my soul, and look at everything else as decor made to glorify Him, then I should make it through this season with not just my sanity but also my heart fulfilled. If I can keep Him the treasure of this season, then the ripple effect can only bless my son and family. Everything else is just noise, even if it’s a joyful noise.
May you take with you today, this first of December, and throughout the season to come these words from my favorite carol. This is my legacy. This is my desired perspective.
“Oh Holy Night,
the stars are brightly shining.
It is the night of [my] dear Savior’s birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul felt it’s worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.”
Comments