Tuesday Tip - Cost Savings!

This is a recently acquired tip and I've quickly become quite a fan. While my family was here over Thanksgiving I brilliantly ran out of hand soap in one of my bathrooms. My Mom let me know and I turned to scribble it on my grocery list. My Mom, always the creative and thrifty one, said "why don't you just make your own?" I gave her a funny look, almost a belittling pat on the head, and said it was just 2 bucks and I would just buy some more.

That's an attitude of mine that I'm working on. As the days passed, she began her campaign to convert me to homemade bathroom soap. I did end up buying some and gave her some flippant response like, "it's just easier to buy it" and moved on. My Mom did not. Right before she left, she grabbed a bottle and said here's what you do in case you want to try it next time.

It's simple and it works. I'm a stubborn dummy. And, moving forward I don't know that I'll ever have to buy any again. Yes, it's just a $2 and some change purchase but I have four bathrooms and throughout the year have to replace many a soap dispenser. The cost savings will eventually add up. Thank you Mom!

Here's how to make your own foamy hand soap.

1. Retain the container and pump of your previously used soap. Mine are either Dial or Wegmans bottles. I'm transitioning to all Dial bottles because I like the shape. Rinse them out and clean off any stickers. This tip only works for the foamy soaps.

2. Fill up about a fingers worth of dish soap. Meaning, lay your finger horizontal along the bottom of the container and fill the dish soap as tall as your finger. Clearly disregard the liquid in my below finger example. :)

For experimentation purposes I used Dawn. I encourage you to use a dish soap you like the smell and color of since it will be in your bathrooms.

3. Once the soap is in place, fill the rest of the bottle with water.

4. Shake and pump to see if you like the consistency. If it's not soapy enough just add a little more, if it's too thick add more water. Easy!

You'll never need to buy foamy hand soap again. I'm currently campaigning to find the dispensers I like and once I have that I'm done with paying the extra money each time.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any tips of your own you want to share!

Comments

AnnsyP said…
This is awesome!! We are almost out of soap in our bathroom, and I was about to toss the pump! Plus, Mike hates that most of the foams are anti-bacterial, so this will help me have foam (which is more fun for the kids) without the anti-bacterial part! Thanks!

Popular Posts