case of the disappearing lap

I've noticed lately an increase in clumsiness. I seem to have lost the ability to hold onto things I pick up or are handed. I'm not sure how I drop them, but before I realize it I watch as it falls to the ground. This isn't a big deal when it's a washcloth. It's a whole other situation when it's my iPhone. My reflexes seem a bit drugged. I stumble a lot lately too. Most of that is because I can no longer see my feet and have a myriad of toddler toys tossed around the floor at any given point of the day. When I'm not at home? I'm not sure what my excuse is but my balance is most certainly off. I guess that's what happens when you are eight months pregnant and you have an ever growing baby off setting any sense of posture you once held.

The thing I've noticed most lately about my ever expanding belly, other than I need to go buy new shirts, is what I like to call the case of the disappearing lap. It's only in the last few days that it really became obvious. First of all, my lap top computer doesn't sit in my lap anymore. I should re-name it "knee top" as that is where it sits, er, wobbles while I try to type. Another sure sign of this condition is I was sitting at a meeting the other night trying to balance a few things in my lap. These are things that everyone else was holding in their lap with no problem. I, however, couldn't seem to not drop my binder, my handout, my notebook, my pen and eventually my iPhone on the floor. Thankfully, I was surrounded by a bunch of mom's who helped me pick the stuff up so I didn't have to bend over or squat down to get them (that joy is a whole other post) but it was totally embarrassing as it kept happening, rinse and repeat.

It wasn't until the next day when I was trying to hold Will in my lap that I realized the culprit of my recent issues. It isn't an increase of clumsiness that causes an inability to hold a lap top, 3 ring binder or other things in my lap. It's that they no longer fit on my lap. Things slide off because they are teetering on my knees rather than secure in my lap.It was in that moment a light bulb went off. I haven't lost my ability to hold things, I have lost over half my lap while sitting.

It turns out I like my lap and have a lot of use for it. I didn't realize this until it was absent. It makes me sad that when Will climbs up to sit with me he automatically wants to sit on the arm of the chair to give me a hug. He does that because I have been setting him there so we can fit together. I know it's temporary but I miss my Will hugs and snuggles. We don't even hug well when I'm standing because his head hits right where my belly protrudes. Poor kid, poor Mommy.

Will hasn't noticed this yet, but when I do sit him in my lap, well beside it sort of, to read a story at nap time or to watch a show it isn't just my lack of space that protests. His little sister is not a fan of sharing her space, foreshadowing of things to come for sure. I'm very aware when holding him that I'm holding them both because she immediately starts moving and pushing at where he sits and leans. The last day or two I thought for sure he would notice my belly kicking him, baby girl wasn't so casual about it.

The case of the disappearing lap is solved. Only two more months and I can start getting back to normal. Ha! Let's be honest, I've never been normal and once I have a newborn and a two year old I'll never know my old normal again. But, I do look forward to being able to resume normal activities like sitting Will in my lap to read a story and tickle wars on the floor.

Comments

Popular Posts