Strangers and Babies

I learn something new all the time as a parent. While pregnant it was that strangers felt like my belly was no longer my own personal space. I felt like I needed to walk around with a sign around my neck that read "off limits." The paradox continues with strangers and babies, well, I don't want to speak for all babies but I will speak for my own. It's shocking actually.

This past weekend we visited family in PA, as mentioned in my previous post, and while at the retirement ceremony and party I was stunned at the amount of people that I don't know who walked up to us with their arms outstretched AS IF I am going to hand them my child. We seriously warded off people repeatedly. We tried to be polite about it at first and casually pass of their advances but when the same person circles around like a vulture yet again for the 3rd time trying to get her paws on my baby it was a flat out, no confusion, not on your life. In fact, I proudly watched as my husband maneuvered his way through the crowds thwarting the attempts of the stranger snatchers. He was even more point blank about it then I was! I love it!

Am I just acting like a first time parent? Am I being paranoid? Are you crazy? I don't care if it's my first child or my fourth (it's a joke - not literal) it will never be okay. I may be a bit more disheveled and confused as to who has who at the time but I will never knowingly hand off my kids to someone I don't know.

And furthermore strangers, when approaching a baby do not grab their hands. You may gently touch the soft hair on his head, squeeze those irresistible cheeks, pat his leg or even his arm but those little hands go straight to his mouth and I certainly do not know you, where your hands have been or the last time they were washed. You can look at his hands (and are welcome to the toes!) but please step away from the temptation to touch them.

Stand down strangers and back away slowly.

Comments

DESIWELCH said…
LOL!! I love this post! Yes! You are right about the whole pregnancy issue..when I got extremely huge with Christian people still wanted to touch the belly! I would look at them like are you kidding me???? Still I agree, I will not let strangers hold my kids. Friends, YES! Because I know that they care about Christian almost as much as I do! But STRANGERS! UGH! What are they thinking?!?!?! p.s. it should be a compliment though....he's so stinking cute :-)
jbdlee7 said…
OMG, this makes me laugh hyterically. I can literally see the expression on your face as you ward off strangers like "who the heck do you really think you are, buddy?" Ha-ha! Love it! Personally, this has never happened to me, so I find this as odd as you do. What do you think the deal is? Oh, well...makes for good reading=) Luv ya!
Kim said…
What an amusing and interesting post to read. I hope that my mom wasn't one of those 'strangers' that tried to accost Will. Mom is just one of those "Nana's" that likes to hold babies. As for the rest of my family that are technically strangers to you - my apologies.

You make me laugh with your posts - you should be a writer!
I agree but... Pretty soon little Will will be putting his feet in his mouth too so you might want to practice telling people to stop touching his feet too! :-)

I MISS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!
Anonymous said…
We didn't really encounter this too much...probably because I usually had Steph in a baby sling and they knew better than to ask at that point.

He is absolutely adorable, though! I wouldn't mind squeezing those cheeks myself!

Popular Posts