Christmas 2012 was a magical time for our family. The kids were totally into it and the understanding of it this year. I was moved by their belief not in Santa or presents, but if asked why we celebrate Christmas they both immediately would say because it's Jesus' birthday. I wish I had recorded Laura saying it because I hear it so clearly in my mind now, but know years from now I won't. "It's Jeshuses Biwrfday." Sigh
I had to answer questions this year like, "if it's Jesus' birthday then why do we get presents?" "Why do we look for our elf every morning? He's not real." I just couldn't say that he's watching him and reporting his behavior to Santa. The only One whom we need to be concerned about knowing our behavior and our hearts is God. However, we can enjoy a fun hide and seek with Elfie just because we can. We do enjoy the fun of Santa Claus (as evidenced by the first picture below of Will looking up the chimney trying to figure out how the jolly old man gets down into our house), but I'm always honest with Will (and also will be with Laura) when asked if something is real or not. I never want there to be confusion about is God/Jesus real and is Santa Claus real. One is Life, the other is just fun. Huge difference. I try to answer honestly in all things like pixie dust, mermaids, etc. but this is just another example of hopefully building character and sharing truth with our babies.
We loved this Christmas with our babies. It was special, memorable and I'm already counting down to next year.
 |
| Special yummies out for Santa and Rudolph, stocking hung by the chimney with care and one 4 year old boy taking a look and trying to figure it out. |
 |
| He came! |
 |
| Cuties coming out to see what surprises await them. P.S. I realize that one day they'll give me a really hard time about these matching pajamas. |
 |
| Will got "the first bell of Christmas" just like the boy in Polar Express. He's listening to see if he can hear it ringing. He can. |
 |
| Mommy was there too! |
 |
| Stocking time. |
 |
| Christmas tradition in our house after everything is opened and played with we pop some popcorn, make some hot chocolate and watch the Polar Express. |
Merry Christmas!!!
Comments