Guarding Time

This past Sunday our new Pastor spoke on guarding what you value. One of the bullets from this was guarding time with your family. It spoke directly to me. As a homemaker, I spend all day every day with my kids. Its kind of like the movie Groundhog's Day. If you're not careful, it's easy to grow complacent and the hours become days and the days weeks and then you look at a picture and your kids are bigger and you didn't even realize it happened. It caused some self introspection regarding the time I'm spending with these cute, though at times challenging, gifts from God. Am I guarding my time with them or am I letting life pass us by and just going through motions? Some days and weeks it's a mix of both, but a lot of these days feel like survival not treasuring.

We seem to be traveling a lot since moving here so when we stay put we try to be intentional with our family time. This was before I even heard Sunday' sermon, which just convicted and affirmed what we already started. Our yard may not be perfectly groomed, I may not have made it to the grocery store and my house might still have piles of folded laundry spread around from Friday not to mention the dirty pile still in my closet BUT we guarded our family time and made some fun memories in the process. The other things, the maintenance stuff, will get done eventually.

Highlights from our weekend...

North of Montgomery is a town called Prattville. Prattville held an event which they termed, "Touch a Truck" this past Saturday. There were all kinds of trucks and Will was able to crawl all up in them, pretend to drive, honk the horns and press all kinds of buttons. It doesn't get better then that for a little boy.


Will and I were even on TV!!!
Y'all, it's hot!!!

After "Touch a Truck" we decided to stop by Steak and Shake for lunch.
...and of course Will had to have his first milkshake.
We have had consistent days in the 90's lately so we decided to pull out the water toys this weekend and set up for Summer.


Isn't he cute? Actually, he is in time out. I have a hunch he is going to be spending a lot of his Summer there. Ugh.
All fun roads lead to exhaustion...
P.S. I feel it pertinent to note that while posting this blog entry my children were watching Disney Channel, eating snacks, rolling around on the floor and otherwise getting into mischief while I used my time to focus here. I would not want anyone to think I am making more of myself or my time with my children then is honest. Ha!

Comments

Heather said…
Love the pics of the cutie-patooties. Ain't it nice having a yard with space for all the pool toys?
Kay said…
What a great idea! Touch a Truck Day--was it a fundraiser or free? I can see how they picked you guys for tv as I look at the big smile on his face. Tell the truth...did you "encourage/bribe" him to get out of that last truck with the promise of a special treat (milkshake)? Otherwise how did you ever convince him to leave?

xoxoxo to all,
Nana
Nate said…
I just wanted to say how thankful I am that you make the time to do this. Its so nice to be able to look at it and be reminded of all the fun we have! I appreciate you. Lu. - N
Minivan Lover said…
Touch a Truck! How cool!! Cute pics :)

Popular Posts