Guarding Time, Part II
“...for You, Lord, have NEVER forsaken those who seek You.” Psalm 9:10b
I mentioned in my last blog post that our new pastor spoke this past Sunday on guarding what we value. He spoke of guarding four things: our time, our tithe, our talent and our tongue. All points hit home, but his reference to guarding our time spoke right to my heart.
Before I continue, I want to clarify that I believe quiet times are personal and that each person reaches there own place of peace with when, where, how long, etc. This is just my response to the Holy Spirit prodding me.
The last few weeks I have been sleeping later and later and carving out less and less time for Him and me before my day begins. The Pastor said it is an honor to have time with God and to guard it. Do you think he knows I have to rouse my exhausted self before 6AM to get it??? When the cries of "Mommy, mommy, mommy" come through the monitor it is then too late for me to focus whole heartedly on anything else. Those usually begin around 6:30AM and continue until their room release at 7AM. An honor? Gulp.
He also commented on redeeming our time with God and not wasting it. Without a doubt, I am a better wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, etc. when I have this time with Him. It settles my mind, focuses my spirit and equips me to handle whatever the day might throw my direction. Gratitude begins there. Patience begins there. Humility begins there. Guarding my tongue begins there. Encouragement begins there. Remembering this and not just going through the proverbial motions, truly communing with my Creator, that is redeeming my time with Him.
I didn't realize how lazy and spiritually hungry I had become. The feelings of disappointment, discouragement, disillusionment and disconnect came at me fast when I wasn't even paying attention. I allowed myself to get distracted while I was busy making justifications. It's all connected.
When I read the above verse that God has never forsaken those who seek Him it was a powerful promise speaking straight to my heart. Seek Him. He will never forsake me, regardless of my comings and goings. Take the time. Guard the time. Seek Him. Got it...again.
Then other verses quickly came to mind.
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." -Matthew 6:33
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. -Psalm 19:14
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. -Jeremiah 29:13
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him -Lamentations 3:22-25
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. -Psalm 19:14
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. -Jeremiah 29:13
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him -Lamentations 3:22-25
I am forever a work in progress. The fall was smooth and the climb back is steep. But, this morning I got up, made coffee and pried my eyes open to pray, do my devotional and then dive into His Word. He is faithful. When that sweet, little voice cried out, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy...I calling you." I was ready. Thank you, Lord.
Comments