Snow Day/Sick Day#8 Craft

Thing are getting a little Groundhog's Day around these parts. The kids STILL have fevers and bad coughs. We got about 4-5 inches of snow a few days ago and it started snowing again today. We've been in this house a long time, and this Momma is getting a teeny, tiny bit STIR CRAZY!!!

I couldn't watch another Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Little Einsteins. I couldn't handle another viewing of the movie Cars or Charlie Brown The Great Pumpkin (yes, you read that right) so I decided to dig deep and come up with a fun "special treat art project" for Will.

A few friends of mine did this craft the last time it snowed and since I'm starting to feel like we live in a snow globe it seemed a perfect activity for us to do today. Will LOVED it.

This is the "snowing" part of our Cinnamon/Sugar Tortilla Snowflakes. Note to self, giving a two year old a sifter with powdered sugar in it is a recipe both for smiles and a big mess.


Note to self #2, I should have taken a refresher course on cutting out snowflakes. I couldn't remember for the life of me how to do it so these are a little rough. Thankfully Will didn't know and didn't care.

YUMMY!
(Can you see the snow out the window behind him? Arsty, huh? Ha! Too bad I didn't have my bigger camera handy.)

I'm here, too!

The picture doesn't do it justice but here is the aftermath...



Please note, after wipe down and wardrobe change, I gave him the Swiffer sweeper since he demanded it was his turn ("my turn, Mommy, my turn!") to vacuum up the mess. He loves to vacuum AND it helped get a little sugar induced energy out.

Instructions:
I'm not sure of the official instructions as I did this on a whim. Preheated oven to 375 degrees. I had left over, unused tortillas in the fridge that I warmed up in the microwave. I then haphazardly folded them up and went to town cutting them. While I did that, Will was scrambling to snatch up the falling tortilla bites as they fell to the table. If he were big enough for scissors I would have let him do that part too. I then melted a little bit of butter. We finger dotted the melted butter on our tortilla snowflakes. Will then dumped half of my cinnamon/sugar, which he excitedly called "sprinkles," on top. I tried to teach him to sprinkle which he reflected by dumping. Anywho. I shook off the excess and then put them on a cookie sheet in the oven. I have no idea how long they were in there. Long enough for me to clean everything up and to get out the powdered sugar, sifter, etc. Once out, I put them on a cutting board, set them in front of Will and gave him the powdered sugar sifter. Once the snowing, I mean dumping, I mean sifting, ended I shook them off again and voila - special treat time! He kept asking for more "snow." Haha!

Comments

Emily said…
Thanks for posting, Ali :) These pics are great! I love the one of Will rubbing Laura's back. And Laura in her bumbo! Get out!

Popular Posts