sickies

It feels like the plague has hit our house. I started feeling bad last Thursday and was wiped out with it by Friday. Laura started coughing on Friday and then Will got a fever on Monday. Thankfully Monday was the first day I didn't want to curl up in a ball and die so I was able to take care of my precious little patients. Nate started getting the sore throat on Tuesday but he's a tough guy and has just pushed through. We are now entering Day 8, both kids still are fighting fevers and the crud. Good times. This whole being a mother of two thing is challenging, and just as I suspected, as soon as I start to get comfortable I get another lesson. For example, taking care of two feverish babies is challenging and definitely a growing experience.

Will is a trooper. He's taken it in stride and if I didn't hug him and feel he was warm, I wouldn't know he had a fever. It takes more then a stubborn, low grade temp, stuffy nose and icky cough to keep him down. Well at least now end of Day 3 for him.

Laura, on the other hand, has taken the more serious route. On Tuesday afternoon I grew very concerned about her condition. Her cough was awful sounding, she was wheezing, refusing her bottle for over 24 hours and just not herself. It grew concerning, so I rushed her to the pediatrician's office that night. It turns out my gut was right on this one. She was diagnosed with RSV. It was not pretty and the doctor was very concerned. Thankfully they sent us home with a nebulizer and instructions on breathing treatments we had to give her throughout the night with a return to the doctor's office the following morning to check her again. Scary. She is a champ though and responded well to the treatments and between that and the antibiotics they gave her the next morning she began her slow climb back to good health. We're not there yet, she's still battling a fever and nasty cough, but I no longer feel the need to constantly listen over her shoulder in fear I'll have to rush her to the ER. Improving and not declining is a welcomed change of pace around here.

It's been exhausting and scary at times but everyone seems to be heading in the right direction. If we could just get these two fevers beat I would feel like I can relax a little. Laura did take a good nap not in my arms (first time in 6 days) this afternoon and then a whole 6 oz bottle earlier this evening and that was very encouraging. I'm hoping this trend continues.

Here are some pics of my little ones from the last week...



Little man
You know it's bad when he gets out of his bed in the morning and asks to bring his binky and blanket with him downstairs to lay on "Daddy's chair" to watch TV.


He's got all his characters ready for yet another viewing of the movie Cars


Sweet girl

This is her first breathing treatment at the Ped's office. I was learning the ropes. Laura was a champ the first time taking it all in. She is such a laid back and delightful baby. And yes, that is her brother's old dinosaur blanket she's wrapped up in. What little bit of her bottle she had drank that day, she had spit up all over every girlie blanket we own so we had to dig through a closet and find one of his.

she has to do this every four hours


Rage against the machine. This is traumatic for all of us. She's so little. :(

Don't worry y'all. I'm fiesty and rallying.

Comments

Popular Posts