Road Trip 2006
We just returned from our whirlwind 5 day trip up the Northeast Coast with our good friends, Hilary and Ben. Who knew you could see so much in just a few days! Our road trip started and ended in VA and along the way we made stops in Philadelphia, New York City and Washington DC. I’m exhausted but it was an absolute blast.
I had a whole thing typed out for the Blog but I’ve decided a picture is worth 1,000 words so I will let them tell the story. I will only add a few minor tidbits that added humor to our trip.
The first stop on our journey was in Philadelphia, PA. We hit the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross’ home, where the first stars and stripes were sewn together, and other tourist attractions. One of the “must do” things on our Philly list was getting the legendary cheese steak. I think we arrived in the city already hungry for them. It didn’t take us long to find Jim’s, the local legend. I wish this story had a happy ending. However, we soon found out that Jim’s was not all that the hype built it up to be. I think Steak Escape has better steaks then Jim’s.
Upon arrival in the city, we found ourselves in the middle of a Hollywood set. They were shooting scenes from an upcoming movie right outside of Independence Hall. One of the scenes we watched them shoot was a fictional assassination attempt on the president giving an address. We made our way down the street where the motorcade sat and decided to get a picture in front of the vehicles. There I was, smiling at Hilary’s camera when I felt a window going down behind my back. Turns out, I had chosen the President’s car and he was in there waiting for them to say “action.” He laughed, asked for my vote and shook my hand for a picture. When “Shooters” comes out you must go and see it as Nate, Hilary, Ben and I may just have been in a scene or two.
We left Philadelphia and made our way to New York City. What an awesome place! We did all the normal stuff like Time’s Square, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Battery Park, window shopped on Madison and 5th Avenue, NYSE, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park etc. The list goes on and on.
Monday night we grabbed dinner in Time's Square before heading to the theater. When we got there and sat down all was normal. All of a sudden, while I’m eating my $32 Crab Cake, swarms of people with signs and t-shirts picketed right outside the restaurant chanting about their rights. It turned out the place was being picketed by minority employees for management garnishing wages. They set up a stage, people were yelling things in a microphone, and the cops showed up along with the media. It was a true New York experience. After our movie set experience in Philly, we truly felt like drama was following us!
I think the most moving thing I experienced on our trip was Ground Zero. We did that first thing Tuesday morning. I can’t put into words how powerful it was and didn’t take many pictures because it just wasn’t possible to capture the mood or emotion of that place. I can’t imagine what it was like on 9/11 or in the months and years following because here we are five years later and just standing there brought tears to my eyes. In a city full of endless rows of skyscrapers, there is a very obvious gaping hole where once stood two powerful buildings. I hope if you get the opportunity you will visit there.
All in all, Road Trip 2006 was an absolute blast. From eating ice cream on Market Street in Philly, to playing Scattegories at the end of a long day, to standing outside on the 15th Floor Observation Deck at The Hudson in NYC, to sitting on the front steps of the closed on Monday’s Met or to the World War II Memorial or Holocaust Museum in Washington DC - I don’t think we could have asked for better weather or better company.
Thank you, Hilary and Ben, for sharing with us great memories and moments we will all laugh about for many years to come. We are blessed by your friendship. And, now that we know we can enjoy a 5 day trip without driving each other crazy or running out of things to say, the only remaining question is this – where are we going next?
Philadelphia-
Hilary, Ben, Liberty Bell, Alison & Nate (Indendence Hall in the background):

Inside Independence Hall:

Betsy Ross' House:

Inside Betsy Ross Gift Shop(you can't tell but Ben's holding a metal cannon):

Jim's Steaks:

Verdict - not so good:

Set from upcoming movie:

Nate in front of the motorcade:

Alison shaking hands with "the President":

New York City-
First night in NY - pulling out the map:

Time's Square:

Monday morning walk through Central Park:

We walked all the way to The Met,
but it is closed on Mondays:

Monday at Empire State Building:


Radio City Music Hall:

Picket Line at restaurant:

Monday night at Phantom of the Opera:


Tuesday at Ray's Pizza - YUM!:

The boy's in front of the NYSE:

Statue of Liberty:
(we passed a girl trying to jump in a picture so Hilary decided to try that method)


Skyline from Statue of Liberty:

Ellis Island:

Ground Zero:
I had a whole thing typed out for the Blog but I’ve decided a picture is worth 1,000 words so I will let them tell the story. I will only add a few minor tidbits that added humor to our trip.
The first stop on our journey was in Philadelphia, PA. We hit the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross’ home, where the first stars and stripes were sewn together, and other tourist attractions. One of the “must do” things on our Philly list was getting the legendary cheese steak. I think we arrived in the city already hungry for them. It didn’t take us long to find Jim’s, the local legend. I wish this story had a happy ending. However, we soon found out that Jim’s was not all that the hype built it up to be. I think Steak Escape has better steaks then Jim’s.
Upon arrival in the city, we found ourselves in the middle of a Hollywood set. They were shooting scenes from an upcoming movie right outside of Independence Hall. One of the scenes we watched them shoot was a fictional assassination attempt on the president giving an address. We made our way down the street where the motorcade sat and decided to get a picture in front of the vehicles. There I was, smiling at Hilary’s camera when I felt a window going down behind my back. Turns out, I had chosen the President’s car and he was in there waiting for them to say “action.” He laughed, asked for my vote and shook my hand for a picture. When “Shooters” comes out you must go and see it as Nate, Hilary, Ben and I may just have been in a scene or two.
We left Philadelphia and made our way to New York City. What an awesome place! We did all the normal stuff like Time’s Square, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Battery Park, window shopped on Madison and 5th Avenue, NYSE, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park etc. The list goes on and on.
Monday night we grabbed dinner in Time's Square before heading to the theater. When we got there and sat down all was normal. All of a sudden, while I’m eating my $32 Crab Cake, swarms of people with signs and t-shirts picketed right outside the restaurant chanting about their rights. It turned out the place was being picketed by minority employees for management garnishing wages. They set up a stage, people were yelling things in a microphone, and the cops showed up along with the media. It was a true New York experience. After our movie set experience in Philly, we truly felt like drama was following us!
I think the most moving thing I experienced on our trip was Ground Zero. We did that first thing Tuesday morning. I can’t put into words how powerful it was and didn’t take many pictures because it just wasn’t possible to capture the mood or emotion of that place. I can’t imagine what it was like on 9/11 or in the months and years following because here we are five years later and just standing there brought tears to my eyes. In a city full of endless rows of skyscrapers, there is a very obvious gaping hole where once stood two powerful buildings. I hope if you get the opportunity you will visit there.
All in all, Road Trip 2006 was an absolute blast. From eating ice cream on Market Street in Philly, to playing Scattegories at the end of a long day, to standing outside on the 15th Floor Observation Deck at The Hudson in NYC, to sitting on the front steps of the closed on Monday’s Met or to the World War II Memorial or Holocaust Museum in Washington DC - I don’t think we could have asked for better weather or better company.
Thank you, Hilary and Ben, for sharing with us great memories and moments we will all laugh about for many years to come. We are blessed by your friendship. And, now that we know we can enjoy a 5 day trip without driving each other crazy or running out of things to say, the only remaining question is this – where are we going next?
Philadelphia-
Hilary, Ben, Liberty Bell, Alison & Nate (Indendence Hall in the background):

Inside Independence Hall:

Betsy Ross' House:

Inside Betsy Ross Gift Shop(you can't tell but Ben's holding a metal cannon):

Jim's Steaks:

Verdict - not so good:

Set from upcoming movie:

Nate in front of the motorcade:

Alison shaking hands with "the President":

New York City-
First night in NY - pulling out the map:

Time's Square:

Monday morning walk through Central Park:

We walked all the way to The Met,
but it is closed on Mondays:

Monday at Empire State Building:


Radio City Music Hall:

Picket Line at restaurant:

Monday night at Phantom of the Opera:


Tuesday at Ray's Pizza - YUM!:

The boy's in front of the NYSE:

Statue of Liberty:
(we passed a girl trying to jump in a picture so Hilary decided to try that method)


Skyline from Statue of Liberty:

Ellis Island:

Ground Zero:
Comments
Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Mom