We Remember

Memorial Day is an important day to my family. We are blessed to have a heritage of service on both sides. Nate is a Naval Academy grad and served as an U.S. Marine Officer for many years, Nate's Dad was an Army pilot during the Vietnam War, Nate's grandfather served in the Army, my Uncle served in the Navy and my grandfather served in the Army during WW2 helping take the beach in Normandy. We appreciate having a 3 day weekend to relax and enjoy our family, but we also pause to pay tribute to the reason we are given a day to remember.

I am grateful to have been raised in a family that almost always spent part of Memorial Day at a memorial service to honor our fallen military and to applaud our veterans and active duty service men and women. I remember doing this as a child and teenager, long before I married a Marine and becoming a military family. This was also long before I had so many amazing friends that are active duty military families today that are truly my heroes as they endure deployments and continual efforts to preserve our country's freedom. I appreciate growing up with reverence for these amazing people and now as an adult with humility as to why we truly have this day off.

We spent our Memorial Day morning at a parade where many Vets participated and followed it up with a Memorial Day and Changing of the Guard service. Then we moved on to the grilling out and playing part of our patriotic day which we thoroughly enjoyed too.

The weekend as a whole was much fun. We spent Saturday in Atlanta with Nate's family and then Sunday at the lake with my family. It was a great break from the normal routine. Below are some pictures but definitely not all as I don't have any pictures from Saturday with the Langmacks.

Waiting for the parade to begin
My baby and me
Laura and Daddy having a little chat under a shade tree.
Will enjoying a lollipop thrown from the parade participants

Got a little boost for a better view from Uncle Stephen
Watching the motorcycles with Emmy
Baby Laura love and me
Will's favorite place in the whole world? "Driving" the mule.

Laura and Poppa
Homemade ice cream anyone???
Mr. Whit teaching Will a thing or two about swimming.
Hanging out on the beach

Comments

Heather said…
If only you could send that ice cream up here (well, deliver it personally). I'm not really one to crave things, but boy, am I cravin' some ice cream today. Guess it doesn't help that I LOVE ice cream anyway, right?

Popular Posts