Mobility Is Not For Sissies

Will's walking. Have I told y'all that yet? Our little Curious George has taken the word mobile to a whole new level. He's into EVERYTHING and I think he's getting longer by the second because when standing on his tip toes he can reach just about anything it seems like. Sometimes you just have to judge the danger and then sit back and let them pull the entire diaper bag and it's contents on top of their heads. Sigh. How else will he learn...he will learn, right? Please say yes.

All of his toys are in our living room area. Once upon a time that entertained and contained him. Recently, he has discovered the kitchen. I spend my entire day chasing him down and dragging him back in here. Most of his big "no touches" are in the kitchen, though bless my heart it doesn't phase him. For example, why would someone build an oven that not only has buttons that make noise when you press them (Hello! what toddler wouldn't think that's cool!!!) but also a handle that's eye level for an 11 month old without a lock? I can't tell you how many items I've had baking and Will has walked by with his baby ninja skills and shut that oven right off. Ugh! He knows better. In fact, if I'm in the living room and he has made it to the kitchen, without me stopping him mid step first, and his little fingers start itching to dial the digital buttons on the oven if I get up and run to administer the proper punishment he will quickly move away from it. Usually this means his smiling (mischievous) little face will be quickly moving towards me playing innocent.

Speaking of quickly moving, Will has discovered a new gear to his drunk baby walking. He hasn't quite mastered it yet as usually his little legs get going faster then his upper body can balance him which results in a fall but sometimes he seems more like the road runner then my baby boy. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but when he's trying to get away from me his baby pace breaks into a sprint. Already! He's not even 1 yet.

No one tells you about this part of parenting. I didn't realize that I wouldn't sit down or still until after 7:30pm everyday. Yes, there are nap times but I have to utilize those sacred, precious minutes for other things that need to get done before my little energizer bunny is recharged. I didn't realize I would never be able to finish a thought or conversation again without a babysitter. I didn't realize how much I would need a babysitter or how unwilling I would be to leave my child in the care of someone else no matter how irrational the thought. No one tells you that the exhaustion doesn't stop after the new baby phase, it just evolves. You just learn to exist there.

As you can tell, our days of sitting around admiring our immobile baby boy are behind us and he has ushered forth the days of toddlerhood right before our eyes. It's amazing the change a year can bring. People tell you this but you don't get it until you witness it yourself. It's truly watching a miracle. I only wish it took a little bit longer because it goes too darn fast.

Comments

jbdlee7 said…
So true sista! I hardily agree to not being prepared to forever live in a state of exhaustion, frustration, yet pure joy all at the same time=) Probably why God is gracious enough not to let it last too long=) But oh the heartache of all those little stages coming to an end...sigh...who new motherhood would be such a paradox! Luv ya!

Popular Posts