Ramblings from a first time Mom...

Having a baby changes everything! I’ve been reflecting recently on the Johnson and Johnson advertising campaign that states, “Having a Baby Changes Everything.” You remember those? They would show a cute little baby on the screen, have some 30 second voice over stating a scenario and the punch line would always be the same. I think there also was a planned parenthood advertising campaign that stated something similar. All of it was centered on the premise that going into parenthood before you’re ready is crazy talk because your life as you know it is over. I thought it was a compelling ad campaign at the time and logically could see how a baby would change everything. I mean they aren’t like a puppy that you can put in a crate when you want to go out for a few hours, but boy was I naïve. I thought of that slogan recently as I muddled my way through another day of Motherhood 101 and it made me laugh and I'm still laughing. Having a baby doesn’t just change everything; it redefines what the word everything means.

I thought that I was prepared for the change required to start our family and I guess I was as prepared as I could be without the forward knowledge of what being a Mommy really means. We waited several years after getting married, financially were in a good place, our relationship as a married couple was strong and all the random pieces seemed like they had come together leading us to babyhood. Then he arrived. This little familiar stranger, that Nate and I both had an immediate, profound love for at first sight and first cry. He came into our lives and rocked our world and let me tell you - it’s still rocking! In fact, I don’t think it will ever stop rocking. Maybe when he’s 20? I don’t know.

I have a couple of girlfriends who are about to have their first child. I listen to them talk about their baby preparations and try to help with any last minute questions. I remember those days so clearly as it was just a couple months ago for me. I remember the thoughts, fears, expectations and assumptions. I knew I didn’t know how to nurse him, take care of him as “the all knowing Mommy” or manage the mommy and wife dual hat role, but I sure knew how to make a list and get my baby gear in order. So, I did. I also figured I could give him a bath and change diapers like a champ, but I had a distinct awareness that the unknown we were embarking on as a couple was going to radically change my life in ways I could not begin to imagine. I was right.

I have so many adventures in motherhood still ahead of me, like what in the world do you do with a three year old with a strong will and let's not even say the word teenager, but there is already clarity to what I once tried to comprehend. There is such joy in this journey but every day is a lesson and stretch to what I once thought were my limitations. As humorous as that simple phrase is to me now, I do know for sure that having a baby changes absolutely everything in every way possible and I'm not just talking about my waist line. And, you know what? I'm good with it and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comments

Popular Posts