Bold, Loving, Sensible

Bold, Loving, Sensible

God doesn’t want us to be shy with His gifts, but bold, and loving and sensible. 2 Timothy 1:7

Attend new school parents night? Check. Family calendar updated? Check. Back pack and lunch box ready? Check. School clothes washed, folded and laid out for early morning rise? Check. Is this really happening? Check.

My heart is full as I prepare to send my 3 year old son off to preschool for the first time. Those with older kids may smile at my big reaction but he’s my first and this is a first. I wonder, is he really ready? Will they understand, enjoy and have grace for my high energy little guy? Is he really ready? Did I say that already? Yes. He is ready. I am not ready, but he is ready.

There is no greater gift from God in my life than my children. The thought of releasing them to the care and teaching of others and trusting God to protect them not only physically but also their little hearts from hurt feelings challenges me to my core. They were prayed for before conception, during my at times high risk pregnancies and every day since I first held each of them in my arms. I treasure these gifts and desire to protect them every step of their life’s journey. I think if I had my way, they would live under the protection of my Mama wings forever.

My kids are not only my greatest gift but also the most humbling, never ending lesson. I’ve learned more about myself, the good and the ugly, and leaned more on God’s strength and direction in the last 3 years than ever before. Thankfully, God is pretty clear in His Word on how to parent my children. He doesn’t want me to be reserved with the gifts he’s given me, rather, He calls me to act bold, loving and sensible.

Boldly letting them explore, fall at times and learn the maturity required by discipline. Loving them is most times effortless but sometimes in the midst of whiney, defiant days when I have lost count of how many times I’ve said “no” about the same power struggle it is still required. Sensibly letting wisdom gained through prayer and God given common sense discern what is right and what is wrong for my children. These Scripture based parenting lessons, in the day to day trenches of mothering my small children in the at times isolating routine of naps, meals, laundry, entertainment director, rinse and repeat, guide my steps and encourage my heart.

I love it when God does that. He takes a verse I’ve read in the past and makes it new and applicable for exactly where I am now. Bold, loving and sensible with His gifts. Got it.

So, off he went on that first day of preschool and you know what? We both did just fine.

Father God, thank you for the precious gifts you’ve entrusted to me, my children. Thank you for further revealing Your will for me through Your Word. Please help me be bold, love them fiercely, know when to let go and trust the sensibility you gave me through your Holy Spirit. In Jesus Name, Amen

Comments

Popular Posts