My First Mother's Day

I don’t know that one forgets their first Mother’s Day as a Mommy. I know I won’t. I’ve had a wonderful day. I am spoiled rotten by the boys in my life so it’s no surprise that they made today extra special for me. It began cuddling in bed with my Will and then off he and Daddy went to get his breakfast. I got to stay in bed dozing in and out to the occasional laughter and jabbering coming from the kitchen. My boys brought me breakfast in bed. Nate made his famous French Toast. That alone could have made my day complete. It followed with church, lunch at home, cards, gifts and soon to be dinner from Outback. We sat out on the deck for a while and just enjoyed the weather while Will crawled around. I told Nate that I will miss these days. No matter what comes next, even if it’s better than where we are now, I will always look back fondly upon these simple and fun days with my sweet husband and loving little man.

You always hear it said that you don’t truly appreciate your parents until you are one. I can now testify that this is true. I’ve never loved and appreciated my Mom more until the last eighteen months of my life as I’ve begun to dabble in the waters of motherhood. As I’ve experienced the exhaustion, tears, worry, inexpressible love and deepest joys I’ve begun to get it. I’ve watched new lines etch my face and stretch marks continue to fade, and I’m reminded that I’m at the beginning of this journey. Thankfully, I’ve had a lifetime of watching a woman who selflessly gave everything she had for her kids and made our family not just people who share DNA but who truly care about each other and enjoy being together. I hope I’m as much of a success at my job as she has been at hers.

I now know what it feels like to live with your heart running, or currently crawling, around outside of your body. What an awesome responsibility and what an indescribable joy. There is nothing like being someone’s Mommy. It is truly the greatest job in the world.

Happy Mother’s Day to all Mommies out there whether it’s your babies or other people kids that you’ve nurtured along the way!

Comments

DESIWELCH said…
Super cute! I hope that you had a great day!
Anonymous said…
I love your posts! He continues to be adorable and you continue to be precious. I love how you are enjoying being a mom. You are a great testiment to the wonderful mom who raised you. I'm glad you had such a special day and thankful you share with us your journey.
Kay said…
I am humbled by your sweet thoughts toward me, dear sweet daughter--in fact, teary-eyed! Love you, girl, and especially that you are sharing your life with us through words in this blog.

Missing you,
Mom
Alli said…
I'm crying, Ali, you really captured the essence of being a mommy, and how it changes us forever. It makes the rest of the world fade away. Love reading about your happy family. :)
Ginger said…
Alison, I loved your words about being a mother! They are very poetic and quite accurately describe the life that is motherhood.

Popular Posts