Gratitude

Gratitude.

What a powerful word. For the last few days and weeks I’ve been surrounded by running commentary on who’s making what for Thanksgiving, which football games are going to be on and preparing to travel on the busiest travel day of the year. It’s an exciting holiday and probably my second favorite only to Christmas. I love the annual foods, the smells, being surrounded by people that I love and just relaxing in a state of being that isn’t common in our everyday lives.

I don’t think you really appreciate your family until you’re truly apart from them. I always knew I loved my family but I don’t know that I truly appreciated them until I’ve had to live away. That makes these holidays we share together moments to be treasured seeing as we don’t have many days like this in a year to just be together. I cherish the memories while being so thankful for each one of my family. I don’t know, it could just be that I’m getting older so my sentimental barometer is changing but no matter what it is I long to be back home with them even if it’s to watch football while feeding our faces and loosening our belts after a delicious feast.

I’m really grateful this year for God’s provision. It’s amazing how in the journeys of this life we are constantly faced with obstacles but if we wait and if we believe we can see Him. I’ve seen Him reflected in the provision He gives in times of uncertainty and chaos. The last 16 months have been a whirlwind for us. It’s been one challenge after the other with joy scattered in between. In my moments of absolute brokenness, when I’ve cried out to God for answers, hope and clarity it’s powerful to see Him prove faithful time and time again. In the moment you can’t see it, sometimes the tears cloud your view, but looking back at how He provides, answers prayers, takes care and how He loves is humbling and astounding. Learning to trust such a masterful and wild King who really isn’t interested in our comfort zones but only in His best for His Kingdom is powerful. I’m thankful that Jehovah-Jireh has provided over and over again.

There are some people who come and go in your life and leave a lasting mark that is irreplaceable and indescribable. That old cliché, "some friends are for a reason, some friends are for a season and some friends are for a lifetime"…is trite but true. If I pause and reflect back on the lives whose paths I’ve crossed I can’t help but again be overwhelmed with gratitude. People come and go while some stay, but each person is such a divine appointment. I am grateful for those people, older faces and newer faces. I am thankful for the memories I have and lessons I’ve learned. I wouldn’t be me without their grace, wisdom and love be it for a reason, season or lifetime. I am grateful.

There is great gratitude in being loved day in and day out by your spouse. There is a deep respect and admiration for one who knows you at your best and your worst and loves you without fail. You, sweet husband, do know me and still love me. I am grateful for you Beloved and what we are building together. I still love you forever.

Gratitude is such an inspiring word because this simple noun makes us give pause to the blessings in our lives. Sometimes those blessings are easier to see then others, but there is always something or someone we can be thankful for even in our most challenging times. There is joy in gratitude.

I hope you have a Thanksgiving full of safe travels, good food and reflections of gratitude!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Let me be the first to answer the most asked dinner table question this time of year... I'm thankful for my wife. I'm so blessed to have you. I love you always. -N
Amy said…
Ali, I hope that you realize how grateful I am for you. Your support and friendship in the past year has been a blessing to me. I hope that you and Nate have a wonderful holiday.
-Amy
Kay said…
Alright, already, I will make the Coca Cola Cake!!! LOL; I am so grateful for you and Nathan and can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Love you both,
Mom

Popular Posts